26 March 2014

NAC

We leave in a little while for the AKC National Agility Championship. This is the closest we've ever had a National agility event - only 2 hours drive. It seems quite strange not to be packing for a long drive or a flight, but it sure is nice...

This year, 2014, will be Kiba's 6th AKC National. 6 in a row, just boggles my mind. Every time I've gone to AKC Nationals, Kiba's been with me, and here we are at what is very likely her last one. I'm really not an emotional person but I am really hoping that I can do Kiba justice at this event. She's 9 years old now, but still running well. We seem to have sorted out the little jumping and handling quirks we were struggling with at this time last year, and she's been a qualifying machine at trials this winter.

In honor of Kiba' 6th AKC NAC in a row, here is video of her Round 1 and 2 from her very first NAC back in 2009. This was the first year we attended, I ran her at 20" (the last year you could jump up from your measured height), and she made Finals on 3 clear Rounds. Kiba's since been in Challenger Round in 2010, and Finals again in 2012.



This is already Strafe's 2nd AKC National event, and he is only 3.5 years old. He seems to finally be back to eating and feeling normal after his weird bout of Anaplasmosis and possible stomach upset from the Doxycycline, so I'm just thrilled that he feels good enough to run.

Last year Strafe did really well, getting into Challenger Round and placing 3rd. I hope to do at least that well this year, but of course dogs are dogs, and not entirely predictable ;)

I am also running my mother's dog Trig in the 20" division. This is my 2nd time running Trig at NAC. She is not a speed demon but she's steady and quick so my goal with her will be to try to get her into Finals by running 3 clean, but we haven't been running together as much this year as we were in 2012 so I'm going to have to focus to do it!

No comments: