12 January 2013

Professor!

News!

I am now  Professor at Agility-U! I got invited to teach there and will be starting out with a 6-week online course on Blind Crosses! Read about it here!

I am excited to be teaching an online course, and I think it will be a great way to teach people to blind cross. Having it spread over 6 weeks will give me a chance to lay some groundwork, start with simple sequences, and work our way up. Being an interactive course will give people the ability to get feedback on their performance and problem solve if things go wrong. I also plan to post some courses and discuss where blinds might be appropriate, and allow people to post videos of "blinds gone wrong" and we will discuss what happened that caused the problem. By the end of the 6 weeks I expect everyone to be a lot more confident in using blind crosses! It will be appropriate for any dog who is sequencing reliably, and all the exercises will fit in a relatively small area with just a few jumps and a tunnel.

Hopefully the end result will be a bunch of people who are confident handling like this:



I spent the day today teaching a seminar on International skills and coursework - we spent the morning working some skills on one jump, and then ran a difficult course in the afternoon. Strafe was a really good boy - he is getting to be a perfect demo dog; I leave him on his bed out of the way, and if I need him he comes, if I don't need him he lays quietly and holds his toy while he watches. He also got to try his hand at the whole course at the end of the day, and while I was disappointed that we didn't run it clean the first try, he did pretty well and did run the whole thing clean all at once after a couple of minor mistakes.

Here's the course, if you're interested.  I made it up.




No comments: