19 January 2013

Had fun running the course I posted on Tuesday. Strafe and I did not quite ever get through it clean, but we did get a run where I forgot we had parked the aframe close to the tunnel (which was not intended to be a trap on course) and he touched it before going into the tunnel, and another full run where I caused him to knock a bar. I was pretty pleased. Hopefully next time we can make a full clean run. Working all the way through a 30+ obstacle course is some pretty serious training, and I can see why it has become somewhat popular in parts of Europe. It is a physical and mental test for both dog and handler. I was pleased to try it out the day before Ria was here to check my dogs out - Strafe held up really well and we are cleared to continue training like that once a week or so in the arena.

However, it might not end up being this week. They are forecasting the temperatures for Tuesday and Wednesday at a high of 25F (-4C) with the overnight low between days possibly down to 13F (around -10C). That is just too cold to ask my dogs and myself to be running agility - it is dark by the time we set the course, meaning the temperature drops pretty quickly. It is hard on muscles and lungs to be working an aerobic exercise in such cold weather - the arena is not heated or insulated, and while it has a small viewing room (we use it for crating) that is heated, we can't actually run inside there. So probably no more courses till the following week. I have a possible course plan made already but will wait and post it when I know when it will be set up.

Today the weather was gorgeous. It was 50F (10C) and sunny all day. We went for a nice hike, then a 2nd shorter walk in our field in the afternoon. Tomorrow will be almost as warm, just with a bit more wind, so we will probably try to go for a longer hike since it might be our last chance for a while. We will still get a bit of exercise when it's below freezing but I'll keep it short to avoid hurting anyone's lungs or feet...

Nice ears, Strafe.

3 comments:

redwoodranch said...

Thank you for posting these awesome courses! I set up that course last Monday, and the only place I truly got stuck at (ahem, besides remembering where I was at), was #25. Never did figure out a good way to handle it...? Would be curious to know how you handled it? Thanks again for the awesome courses!!

Naomi

Rosanne said...

#25? I hauled butt as soon as he was committed to 22, and blind crossed between 24 and 25, then I had the option of turning him either way over 25 - a full wrap or sending him behind me to the outside of the jump.

LitlBigDog said...

We set up part of it last night. Looking forward to the next one!