22 August 2012

timey wimey

I realize I've greatly neglected this space for most of the summer, only posting brief trial results and occasional trial videos. Truth is, i've been off on my mental obsessions and gleefully rotating from hours of watching anime, to hours of reading books (or manga), to hours of reading on my Kindle. Interspersed amongst that of course is dog training and trialing and teaching, my largest obsession of all and also my livelihood. But obsessed or not, one cannot ponder agility for 16 hours a day, every single day. So here's a brief summary of the agility-related things I've been pondering.

1. The blog itself - I know a lot of "famous" agility handlers use their blogs to either advertise, to post articles, or to ruminate upon important training or handling issues. I know I do this once in a while, and when the mood strikes, I shall continue to do so, but overall I'm happy to keep this space as it is - a JOURNAL. It has always been such, and to be honest, I really don't want to turn into a walking talking billboard for myself. I'm too much of an introvert and don't enjoy hero worship from either side of the equation anyway. I would, of course, enjoy it if my readers would come and enjoy a seminar with me if I'm in their home town, but I will not presume to lecture anyone. If you aren't interested in a personal agility journal, then you probably won't enjoy my blog!

2. International Travel - it's expensive. Truly it is. And because my income is not exactly off the charts, I really can't afford to do all the international competitions I would if I won the lottery. I have to budget, and save, and ask for help... Anyway, with Kiba's shoulder continuing to be a little tight, and her back issues earlier in the summer, I've decided she's done jumping anything higher than 16", so i have tentatively decided to take Strafe to the EO in Belgium next summer, and MAYBE take a trip from there to the Border Collie Classic down in Italy the following weekend. Sounds like tons of fun but need to save $$$'s to afford it.

3. Denver. I entered it. I booked my flight and hotel. I got a roommate. I'm scheduling the PT. So Strafe goes to his first big event in September at 24 months and 2 weeks old. I'm sure he'll be fabulous because, let's face it, he ALWAYS IS!

4. My mother's dog Trig is not going to be bred after all, due to a couple currently minor health issues that probably have a genetic basis. So I am trying to help her puppy hunt. With a lot of luck perhaps she'll find a nice female puppy that we could breed to Strafe in about 5 years for my next puppy....

5. Strafe's OFA X-rays have been scheduled. For 11 September. For the first time, I'm going all-out and doing hips/shoulders/elbows. I seriously don't expect any issues with shoulders/elbows, I just figured since it's fairly common to check them in Europe, that I would go ahead and add them in. I am crossing my fingers for his hips - I don't believe I ever mentioned it on here, but his Pennhip score was not spectacular when I checked it at 13 months, but the fit of the hips looked good, and considering his muscling and way of using his body, I expect he will pass OFA with no issues, but I am looking forward to getting that out of the way.

6. Um... running out of dog things. I taught a fun seminar last weekend, I love going to ACA, and most of them seem to enjoy having me down! It's close, it's climate controlled, and the gang treats me like family, what more can I ask for? This weekend I'm off to another 3-day AKC trial and staying with a friend, we will watch Resident Evil and eat Pizza and hopefully accumulate QQ's!

7. I am tentatively planning to bring Seri back out this fall, and hopefully qualify her for USDAA in TN in 2013. I am trying to figure out what height to run her at. She does OK at 20/22" at home but because of her issues I am seriously considering running her in P16", it makes the jump landing impact that much smaller, and gives her a lower aframe besides. The speeds she will achieve will be enormous, however, she achieves enormous speeds at any height - height doesn't really affect the way she uses herself. I may have to play with the various heights at home a bit before deciding.

OK, I'm done for now, back to reading my Kindle book. Here's a picture of my hunky boy dog with his flowing locks. Which, by the way, got bathed, brushed, and his pantalones got thinned besides. he is PRETTY now!  (pic is old, not of his newly groomed self)



PS Post is so named because Doctor Who's new season is coming up soon on BBC! Hurray!

No comments: