08 May 2012

Tryouts Recap

Well it was a long but thankfully uneventful drive out to Minnesota (and back). I'm not going into a ton of detail here, but Trig ran really well for me. We had zero off courses; our only course faults were one bar and 2 botched weave entries. Our handling was spot on for every course, I made great decisions for handling Trig around the courses, even when it was a choice that was different from what I might do for Kiba or Strafe. We did incur a lot of time faults, since Trig isn't super-crazy-fast. When we ran "clean" we were usually within about 1 second of the time cutoff, but unfortunately at Tryouts no matter how much over time you are, you automatically get 5 faults. And the times are VERY tight - it's 10% added to the average of the top 2 times, and with 40 Large dogs, there were a couple of super fast runs in every class that made the times very tight. For instance, we ran very nicely in the last round (Standard) with a time of 41.8 seconds. We got time faults because the top 2 times were both 37 seconds! And again, it's an automatic 5 faults, not 1.8 faults. I'm not sure what the reasoning is there, since at FCI they use a 1 for 1 basis (meaning I'd have 1.8 faults), but whatever - even though we ran well and looked great, I am certain we won't be chosen for the team, as there are other dogs who ran well, looked great, and did NOT get time faults.

I did hear a rumor that because FCI is scheduled to be in South Africa for 2013, that the AKC (and many other countries) may not be sending a team due to the time and money involved in the long travel to get there, along with the problem of it not being considered an "open" travel country for the US. This makes me sad, as I'm sure Strafe will be ready next year! We'll just have to wait and see!

2 comments:

Brittany said...

I'm hopeful that FCI will change their mind about hosting the event in South Africa. I sure hope so--I don't know how comfortable I would feel traveling there...

Christine said...

I am from South Africa. I would NOT fly a dog there. The flying time alone is brutal and then I simple dont trust the airports (and everything else) enough with my dog. And I speak from lots of experience...