21 February 2012

Introducing...

My very first small dog, ever! In 20 years of dog ownership!

Well, if you don't count Kiba. And he probably won't be a whole lot smaller than Kiba. But still, this is an actual "small dog"!





And everyone keeps asking me what his name will be. Because I wasn't planning on getting a puppy quite so soon, I've been kind of wishy-washy on names. Both of his parents have a "y" in their names in place of an "i", so I thought I might like to continue that trend. I could also use that sound because none of my current dogs have that "long i" sound so it won't sound like anybody else that I have - and in the same vein, no words that start with "S" or a C that sounds like an S, because Seri is pretty reactive to the S and she already gets excited if I begin to say her or Strafe's names.

So I rolled some sounds around a while and came up with a few I liked. One sounded too much like a common word said a lot by agility rings and so I ditched that one and I think I will stick what I ended up with, it's fairly unique (I know one dog with this name, properly spelled), it's easy to say, it shortens well...

The kennel name is Khirugai, and so I think this will be "Khirugai's Ryze Above", call name Ryze or perhaps Ryzer. I will shorten it to Ry around the house a lot and maybe I'll even call him Ryan affectionately, who knows!

Little Ry or Ryze or Ryzer will probably still be "pup-pup" for a little bit while I mentally attach his name to his face. He did really really well with the long ride from Alberta to Texas and then from Texas to Baltimore. He came out of the crate sassy, barked and wanted to play halfway home, and is currently alternating between napping and chewing a bully stick in his crate after a small meal. I think he is tired so I'm going to leave him in for an hour or so to let his food settle and let him de-stress a bit. My dogs met him outside and pretty much just said "another puppy? really? alright, whatever!"
i think he and Strafe will be good friends.

I will post some videos of his relatives running agility soon, but I have to reboot because Google Chrome and Shockwave Flash are having fights again and right now they are not getting along.


4 comments:

corbinwooten said...

Love the name!

Sheltie Owner said...

Gorgeous pup. Congrats.

OBay Shelties said...

One of my most favorite shelties ever was names Riza. Spelled different but sounds the same; he was an awesome little dog. So that is a good start for your Ryzer! Best of luck with your first sheltie!

Tails From The Herd ... said...

OH MY! He is ADORABLE! I think the name is fabulous! I can't wait to meet him! Tri is soooo jealous that Strafe got a new baby brother ... he said he wants to borrow him to play sometimes!