06 January 2012

Just so you don't think my "no racing like a Greyhound" rule means my dogs are heeling around the field, here's a couple silly phone pics from our walk this morning. My dogs are pretty free to move around. That is, after all, the best kind of exercise. I use our 10-20min field walks as an exercise "base" and also just as a way to let them "loosen up" if they've done something strenuous earlier in the day or the day before. It's not hard exercise but it gets them moving.

And every once in a while I do let them rip roar around like idiots, but only when I release them to do so by making a shush sound. Running like that is very high impact exercise and I prefer to save the high impact stuff for agility training, since it's so hard on their joints. I know I'm in a minority on that one. My dogs don't play fetch either. Luckily they are dogs, they live in the moment, and they have plenty of fun in their lives. They don't miss playing fetch.

Kiba noticed I was holding my phone up funny.

An example of "cantering calmly" which is totally allowed!

I added this pic only because I didn't use it yesterday. I had a heck of a time keeping Strafe off the peanut to take this picture! It looks small here but it's not.

Also (and yes I keep editing to add things), the weather is so mild I am going to set up a training set our Team Manager sent us this afternoon. Should be great fun!

3 comments:

K-Koira said...

It sounds reasonable, I guess, since running is pretty high impact, but I guess I view it as part of the fun of being a dog, which I don't want to not allow them to have. Both my dogs tend to let loose and run for the first 3-5 minutes of off leash at the park, but I have noticed that neither one ever turns on the after burners (as I like to say) at the park, be it for running, chasing, or playing fetch, the way they do at lure coursing. So, I know that while they are galloping out there, they are not at top speed.

Rosanne said...

I do let my guys run a bit here and there, but since my life revolves around agility, I want to save most of the impact for that. Like I said, I know it's a minority opinion, but I really don't feel that my dogs are out there feeling sad that they aren't allowed to run faster. Dogs are pretty good at learning rules and then being happy within them.

K-Koira said...

Unfortunately I get to eat my words, as my dog just got injured while running at the park today. Waiting on the vet visit in the morning to find out what it is, but thinking she has a toe injury, which are apparently notorious for being hard to heal.

Although, it was not while running full out that she came up lame, but when turning at a canter to return to me.