27 December 2011

Strange Brain

I've known for a long time that I have a strange brain. I can obsess about certain subjects for weeks on end, while at the same time completely and unintentionally forgetting to perform some other task. I am introverted, bright, but not emotional.

Here is a good description of my personality type according to a very exhaustive type of testing. This is not a predictive test; it is a descriptive test. It describes people with a certain collection of social and thinking traits, according to the Myers-Brigg profiles. I am sure I have mentioned it before on here, but IF you happen to be interested in delving into my type of psyche for any strange stalker-related reason, or maybe you just like psychology (as I do), here is my personality type: INTJ, and here is another description as well.
And if you're interested in hearing what INTJ's have to say about dealing with INTJ's, read this;)

And as non-politically correct as it is to suggest that certain people have differing levels of intelligence, I happen to know I am also "gifted". This means not only high intellect, but also yet another layer of what I call "strange brain" is associated with it. Once again, emotional interpretation can be difficult, along with the obsessiveness and difficulty dealing with things we interpret as unjust or wrong. I couldn't find a good description off-hand that fits my weirdness, probably because I often feel that I may have a touch of this as well: Asperger's. And I am not at all certain on that one, but the whole "feeling like an outsider pretending to have the same emotions that others do" is definitely how I feel sometimes. Especially when dealing with certain emotions. I often find that I use humor as a refuge and a way to connect, and when that is out of the question, my brain sort of slides sideways and I have to pretend to go along. I am also extremely bothered by certain sounds and textures, and can be easily distracted and sometimes even repulsed by such. The obsessive bits and lack of social cue bullets definitely fit my strange brain issues, however I don't think I was ever uncoordinated physically. And obviously, if I do have a touch of it, I am very high functioning and I would never imply otherwise. I "get by" in the real world without counseling, but the older I get, the more I am able to recognize and admit to myself that no, I really don't feel the same way that "normal" people do. And I'm OK with that.

Anyway, this has been a public service announcement in reaction to another misunderstanding triggered by my bluntness and lack of social ability. Luckily a very minor infraction this time! But still. Sometimes my Vulcan tendencies (but, the LOGIC!) overcome my human ones! So, if you're bored, feel free to read some of the INTJ stuff and learn more about me. . .

And just so this post has a picture, here's Kiba, who has a strange brain too, but in other ways:


PS - please don't think all of this is in order to say that I can't deal with people on a regular basis, or am incapable of it, just to say that I am weird. I know it. But I enjoy teaching, as do many introverts and probably plenty of people with "strange brains" as well ;)

3 comments:

Sheltie Owner said...

Hello from an ISFJ. I know *exactly* what you mean...

LitlBigDog said...

No wonder you do so well with the Border Collies ...

Lillian M. Russell said...

We can discuss our different views of the world: I am an INTP. There, I've said it. :-) Lill