27 September 2010

Another short point by point post.

The seminar with Ria went well, I learned a bit, most people learned a bunch.

Drifter's hamstring is *good* but he was a bit stiff all over. Guess that's what happens when you can't do any normal exercising for several weeks. He's cleared for off leash hiking and increased ball work.

Drifter turned 8 on Saturday. Hard to believe. I feel that he should be both 4 and 12 years old, like he's been running forever with me, but he's still ready to be in his prime, still not quite mature. While we've never been awful, it's been a bit of a long road to find consistency with him, and I feel like we've still got more to do to finish our career.

And on that note, last Monday my regular vet heard a heart murmur while doing a quick listen to Drifter, and so Thursday I saw a cardiologist. He had an echocardiogram (ultrasound) done, and he has developed slight thickening of both the mitral and bicuspid valves. So far, there is a bit of leakage but no enlargement of any chambers, and he is pretty asymptomatic, I mean, he hacks/coughs maybe once every week or two, and doesn't seem to be overexerting himself any more than usual. Anyway, he needs a chest x-ray every 6 months and so far is on no medication. I did order all the good heart supplements I could research over the weekend. Sigh. It's always something, no?

I am seriously considering applying for the WAO team. It sounds like it shouldn't be a conflict of interest for the AKC Team, so assuming Drifter stays healthy, I could attend Tryouts, then fly out to England if I made the team, with no negative consequences except to my wallet.

Speaking of my wallet, I put in my 2 weeks notice at work. Our new manager, not nearly as personable as the last, and his new stiffer policies added to me needing extra time to myself to condition and train myself and dogs, plus I need to begin packing and cleaning for our move (don't know when yet, waiting for zoning to clear for training building before we buy). So I am relying on teaching money from here on out. I have a lot of things waiting to be scheduled so I'm hopeful I'll be alright, but I'm strongly considering cutting USDAA out of my schedule for next year to save money, since I'll be focusing heavily on AKC World Team anyway... we'll see.

No picture today, sorry. I'm off to bed now. This was a heavy hitting entry, no?

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I am sorry to hear about Drifter's heart issue - hopefully it won't give him any trouble at all.

Congrats and good luck on leaving the job :) If you're putting up a building, be very careful screening contractors. Trusting people too much cost me a lot of money :(