30 May 2010

Our runs at IFCS.

Seri hyperextended her wrist before I left for England. I left her with "no running" instructions but she still wasn't ready to compete yet this weekend, so I ended up with a long weekend home for Memorial Day.

I have been reconsidering when to breed Seri. Next year would probably be better timing for getting a puppy (should be 8-10 weeks right after FCI, if I went) but that would mean that Seri would have to take 4-6 months off of trialing right in the middle of the year. And I really want to get serious with her as soon as possible. She is currently still in Exc A, and needs some more mileage and a little bit of work, so if I'm going to skip a year at Tryouts, I'd rather skip this upcoming year, and not any of the later ones! I am going to take Drifter again in 2011. This is absolutely his last run at 26", as he'll be 8 by the time Tryouts rolls around. If he does not stay sound or has too much trouble, I will drop him during the year and not worry about World Team again. But as you can see from the videos, he had zero trouble jumping the height over in the UK, and he held up nicely. Seri, on the other hand, is not going to be consistent enough this year to be on World Team for 2011. I think by 2012 she should be there. We'll see. But taking 4-6 months off NOW means she will be back in shape by the 2012 qualifying season (April 2011-March 2012).

Also we are currently beginning to look at bigger properties. Hopefully by the time she would have puppies (November), we would have more space. If not, we'd survive. Our house is not tiny, but she'd have to whelp upstairs where Singe did. My mother would be helping.

So there is a strong possibility Seri will be having a litter this fall. She'd come in heat in September, have puppies in November, and they'd go home in January. She'd miss USDAA Nationals I guess, depending on when she was bred, but I'd probably skip it anyway rather than risk any issues.

The stud I am tentatively planning to use would be a frozen semen breeding, so I don't expect a huge litter. But if you're interested let me know. I strongly prefer to sell to people I know well, or have great references from people I know well.

So generally as far as my agility future goes, I am pretty excited. I've got another year of 26" World Team trying out for Drifter, a solid trial season this summer followed by puppies for Seri (after which she will be spayed), and a summer of qualifying for Perf Tournaments and AKC Nationals for Kiba. I love having my agility life planned out, it keeps my goals in perspective and keeps me happy. If I don't keep a larger goal in mind, I get bored with local trials.

No comments: